Monday, March 17, 2014

1 Thing We Won't Stop Saying


You probably saw the recent article on Huffington Post about the one thing Christians should stop saying. The virally viral-monster that it was I can't see how you couldn't have seen it.

And truth be told - I agree with it. Read it - see what ya think - but I think the author makes a great point with this original piece - I think we get it wrong sometimes when we say this.

But then - as things typically go on the Internet - the copycats came out.

No more than 4 days later out comes a new article on a pastor's blog called "'Prayer Works' & 2 Other Things Christians Should Stop Saying Now".

As I saw it get posted by friends of mine I thought I'd give it a read. Ugh...

The first thing this PASTOR says it that us Christians should stop saying "Prayer Works."

Wait... huh?

I mean I get what he was saying - that to non-believers and even some Christians who think God lives in a magic lamp and grants our wishes - this could be tough to swallow when He doesn't appear in a puff of smoke to hand them winning lottery tickets.

But this LEADER of people wants those of us who claim Christ as our Savior to stop saying "Prayer Works" for the sake of those who may not have counted the cost of following Christ. To make life easier on those who don't understand prayer, who haven't meditated on the words of Jesus when He taught us how to pray. To set the expectations for those who might turn their back on God when He doesn't dispense "successful American blessing" like a holy ATM.

I simply cannot get behind this. And as I read more I realized why the whole article didn't sit well with me. This guy didn't seem to care about explaining prayer as Jesus saw it or digging deeper to talk about how prayer is relational and positive outcomes aren't the only response to prayer or that "NO!" can actually be an answer to prayer.

Nope - he was too busy crafting slick little clickable squares of pulled out quotes of himself with a button that said "click to retweet."

He lost all credibility when I saw that. It may as well have said "Click to stroke my ego" or "Click here if you think I'm as awesome as I do" or "Click this now. I said so. And I'm a leader. Who sells books."

It was so transparently lacking in humility that I was shocked to see it being shared the way it was.

But no worries - cuz here in this house - we follow JESUS - not book selling online leader pastors. And Jesus said:

"When you pray, say: ‘Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. And lead us not into temptation."

“So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
And unless Jesus was lying to us - that sounds like we're supposed to pray. And I don't think He'd tell us to do somethig that didn't work.

I'll get off my soapbox now. But I say all of this to say - watch what you let go into your ear holes. Look carefully before blindly following or even worse - blindly "clicking here to retweet." Pay close attention to who you align your beliefs with and PRAY (because it matters) for discernment on these matters.

I wish more blogger pastors would do just that before they went for the next big viral sensational "attack christians" op-ed.

We chatted about it a bit around here this evening - and the house was in 100% agreement:


And we're gonna keep on doing it!

1 comment:

susan said...

And all the people said AMEN.