Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy Birthday, U.S. of A!


I haven't traveled to a ton of places - but I've spent enough time in other countries to know that the United States is a pretty great place to live.

And whether you complain about the government, hate the president, bash your neighbor for their religion, sue anybody for anything or complain loudly and ignorantly about everything...

It's still a great country to live in.

Ya know why?


Simply because you are FREE to complain about the government, hate the president, bash your neighbor for their religion, sue anybody for anything or complain loudly and ignorantly about everything...

Kinda nutty, huh? Light a sparkler and celebrate!

But these freedoms didn't come free. Rather they were super costly (and continue to be).

There have only been two people in my life who have shown to me what this means - to sacrifice and give for the freedom of this great country we live in.


One was William Pressler. That's him up there on the left. Also known as "Gramps" to me and my sisters. He was a Marine for life - and though he mellowed out and softened up as he got older - he ALWAYS carried a sense of pride for this country and the service he put in.

The other was Eddie Pickard - up there on the right. Known as "Daddy" to Laura and "Paw-pa" to the goofball gang - this guy did more for me than he ever likely knew. He showed me what being a daddy could really look like - and I'm forever grateful for that. He served in the Air Force to defend this country - and that's the flag Laura was given at his funeral that the kids are hugging up there.

I know a lot of people are surrounded by military and often times can take them for granted. I was not - I only had these two. But I am super thankful for the selflessness they displayed as they fought for the things we enjoy today. And even the things we abuse.

To all the folks out there who respectfully fought, died and stood for freedom - we salute you!


We salute you Gramps Pressler!


We salute you Paw-pa Pickard!


We salute you United States of America!

I'm not saying we live in the perfect country - no place is perfect.

But spend some time elsewhere and you'll find yourself appreciating what we have.

Tonight I'm thankful for baseball, apple pie, fireworks, purple mountains majesty and these two incredibly respectful men who stood for freedom.

Happy Birthday, USA!

No comments: